Sunday 4 January 2015

A Drugstore Trio

Bourjois Happy Light Foundation, Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum Foundation and L'Oreal True Match Foundation

A little while ago now, I decided I wanted to change up my base. For a long time I've been all about the full-coverage and flawless finish but I feel as we get older, our skin and our outlook on make up changes. Sometimes we need a little adjustment. In step these three drug store beauts. I have tried (and enjoyed) using Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum in the past, but found it a little too sheer/dewy for what I wanted at the time, but it did look good and so many friends swear by it so it was added to the basket! The other two were completely new to me, but I've seen them featured in posts and videos all too often for them to be ignored.

I tried all three of these foundations on their own and somehow none of them offered quite what I was looking for. Variations of too shiny, too thin, too drying. However, don't despair - this blogpost isn't all doom and gloom! I tried mixing the foundations, sometimes on their own and sometimes with others (most often the Rimmel Stay Matte Mousse Foundation - my full coverage partner in crime!) and the effects were mostly complimentary on my skin. Mixing a foundation that's too dewy with one that's too drying, or one that's too heavy with one that's too sheer can often result in the most perfect balance and an almost taylor made foundation that's perfect for you. It can even work really well if you struggle to find the right colour for your skin, you can either mix two different colours of the same foundation, or two different foundations in two different colours (the latter being the method I most frequently use). 

I've been mixing foundations for years, and most of the time it works really well, especially if you follow the golden rule for pairing base products. You just need to make sure that your primary ingredients match on your two (or more) foundations. (As far as I'm aware the two main primary ingredients are water or silicone.) Check the ingredients list, and if the first few words are Aqua/Water on your ingredients list for both, you can mix OR if they're some variation of a silicone (Easy to spot as the word will end in '-cone' as in silicone, dimethicone, etc... although some more complicated compounds end on '-xone', if unsure Google it!) then you can mix. If the primary ingredients match, your foundations will mix perfectly together, however if they don't match it could mean the foundations will separate on your skin after a few hours wear. 

If you aren't a foundation mixologist already, I highly recommend giving it a go - especially if you've got one or two less-than-loved foundations clogging up your makeup draws! 

Thank you so much for reading, much love Kitty xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Designed by pipdig